New GMOs – Key resources
This article is an overview of useful resources we have compiled for you. We will update this on a rolling basis. If you have useful materials, please share them with [email protected].
We do the work for our members! They can find more information, instant messaging and visuals in our arguments database on the member extranet.
Organic movement resources
- The international organic movement’s position paper on GMOs and new GMOs (2017), the global safety & risk assessment protocol for New Genomic Technologies (June 2023) & our position papers
- Our video explaining new GMOs and the need to keep them regulated and traceable + version with German subtitles (July 2023)
- The European organic movement’s resolution in favour of a system-based approach of innovation and sustainability – Keep Organic GMO-free (June 2023)
- Our leaflet in all EU languages explaining why all techniques of GMOs must be regulated (June 2019)
- Young German organic farmers calling for their right to choose (in German – January 2023)
- IFOAM Organics Europe submission to public consultation – Legislation for plants produced by certain new genomic techniques (October 2021)
- Recordings of our member-only webinar: Upcoming EU proposal on New Genomic Technique (NGTs) (June 2023)
- Instant messaging and visuals on new GMOs in our arguments database on the member extranet
- Example letters to your national ministers
- Unmasking new GMOs briefing: Media Briefing by FoodWatch International and Friends of the Earth Europe on the risks of a deregulation for farmers and consumers’ right to transparency (May 2023)
- How big agri ghost-writes the Commission’s proposal on new GMOs: Article by Friends of the Earth Europe (March 2023)
- New genome techniques (NGT) – A risky corporate distraction from real sustainable solutions: Questions & Answers regarding pesticide use and other impacts on agriculture by FoodWatch (January 2023)
- Educational materials for schools (2022)
- GMOs – An easy breakdown on common myths by Slowfood International (November 2022)
- Behind the smokescreen – Vested interests of EU scientists lobbying for GMO deregulation by the Green/EFA in the European Parliament (September 2022)
- Our participation in Slowfood Europe’s podcast about new genomic techniques in Slowfood Europe’s podcast (May 2021)
Citizens have voiced their concerns about the safeguard for genetic resources free of genetic modification in a petition with more than 420,000 signatures from 17 countries. Citizens demanded policymakers to keep (new) GMOs strictly regulated and labelled, and instead of using GMOs, support proven sustainable agricultural practices, like organic and other agroecological farming methods.
On 17 November 2022, we held the GMO-free Europe event at the European Parliament, together with Save our Seeds. The event was hosted in the European Parliament by Green/EFA Members of Parliament and united representatives of GMO-free Regions, scientists, farmers, producers, retailers, and consumers as well as NGOs, civil servants, and politicians to scrutinize the proposal and take a stand together. The event was a full success with more than 250 participants joining online and in person. Watch the full recordings in our dedicated YouTube playlist.
IFOAM Organics Europe members can find more information on the member extranet and background materials in the arguments database on the member extranet (main messages, arguments/FAQs, visuals & videos). Contact [email protected] for access rights (issues).
For information about what you can gain from being a member, read our membership page and contact [email protected].